Monday, April 16, 2012

Short Story untitled and uncompleted.


Flashes of White
As the rain poured down heavily on the sidewalks, it seemed like yet another plain day in my life. Well maybe not plain, seeing the fact that I had a complete mental breakdown at my work, Helena’s World Coffee, destroying countless customers’ orders due to my jumpiness and sudden paranoia.  It seemed strange that out of the 30 odd people in the coffee shop I was the only one seeing whisks of an off white color every minute or so.
That job was the only thing that I had so far, being the mere age of eighteen with no knowledge o fmy family other than a strange aunt who recently came down with dementia; to anyone, I, Sayge Richland did not exist. Growing up without any knowledge of your family was hard especially when you had to live with an aunt who, sure gave you whatever you asked from her, but operated her household under a no question policy. This of course resulted in a complete obliviousness to my parents past.
While I was pondering both my past and future I seemed to be unaware that this was definitely not the time to space out in busy downtown Toronto. It almost seemed to late when I heard a horn and turned to see a cars heading straight for me while I was, as many drivers would say, a deer in the headlights. While I squinted and awaited the pain of the impact, not thinking to jump out of the way, everything seemed silent. Slowly I opened my eyes and realized there was in fact no impact because everyone and everything was frozen.
I kept thinking to myself that this was just a dream and I really was unconscious maybe in a hospital bed at Toronto General Hospital, but this seemed to real for a dream, the scents of busy downtown Toronto were still there, and the car just inches from me felt like it was real as I grazed my hand against the cold metal of the muffler. As realization finally hit me that this wasn’t a mass trip out, the same streak of white flashed past me again, but this time slowed until it stopped to reveal the culprit who had indeed lost me my 12 dollar an hour job. He was something alright, his hair was a marvel in itself, platinum blonde and casually unkempt, he had a face it seems that Michelangelo’s David could compete with in all its perfection of blue eyes and perfect cheekbones. His body was perfect with its lean muscle and closely fit ensemble that he wore. All in all he was a gorgeous man who could be on the cover of any GQ magazine.
His blue eyes seemed to study me intensely as he made a single gesture asking me to move closer to him. Like any twenty year old girl would hope, he wanted to close the distance between us, but as soon as I moved out of the street, he winked and everything came back to real time, and he was nowhere to be seen.
Walking the rest of the way home I tried to replay in my mind what on earth just happened during those minutes that that man and I were the only two people in time. If I didn’t know any better, after putting all the events today it seemed that he saved me from a very bad car accident or wanted me to have a really bad day, either way I was still clueless as to what on earth it all meant.

Darkened Dreams
            Still puzzled by yesterday I got up in a haze the next morning only to realize that I had no job to go to. I groaned at that realization and went to the kitchen to prepare some kind of sustenance even though there was almost no food left in the refrigerator other than milk and eggs.
“Scrambled eggs it is then,” I told myself as I picked out two eggs from the fridge, along with the almost expired milk.
            As I began to whisk the eggs in a bowl, a streak of white flashed in my peripheral vision causing me to jump and drop the bowl on the floor that I was holding.
“God Damn, if it’s not one thing it’s another!” I exclaimed.
            As I bent down to clean up the now egg splattered floor, I noticed a pair of shoes a few feet from me, extending from which were of course legs. I jumped when I saw the same man from yesterday standing before me just as magnificent as he was in the middle of downtown Toronto.
Not only was I startled but I was confused as to how on earth he got into my small bachelor apartment, and why the hell was he following me.
It seemed like an eternity as I stood there looking at him, it was only after about five minutes of gawking that I finally gathered up the courage to speak. “Who on earth are you!” I tried to sound strong, but it only came out in a whimper.
“Now that is quite a question my dear,” he said in a silky velveteen voice with a hint of an underlying British accent, which seemed effortless as he cautiously looked around my small and embarrassing apartment, “but seeing the current situation I don’t think we have time for mannerisms.”
As I deciphered the words I most likely had an utter look of bewilderment on my pale ivory face. No time? What did he mean by that? There seemed to be nothing horrible going on at the time, I really did want to ask him what on earth he meant but just as I opened my mouth to speak, a dark figured appeared behind the mysterious but utterly gorgeous stranger, with a knife in his hand. As my eyes widened the blonde stood there calmly while the man moved forward with the knife motioning to stab him.
I tried to cry out for help but my throat was bone dry and all that came out was a gust of air. I had to warn this man who indeed in some strange way had saved my life yesterday, some place deep in the crevices in my mind I hoped that all this was just a dream and a man was not going to be stabbed and killed in my small kitchen.
While I stood there dumbstruck it seemed that once the assassin was about to close the distance, my worrying was needless because just seconds before he closed the space between the blonde and the knife, he vanished only to appear a second later beside me shaking his head disappointedly at the assassin.
“You’ll have to try better next time Edmund, stabbing a man in the back is indeed so cowardly of you and your kind,” the blonde told the assassin as he grabbed hold of my waist and the next thing I knew a whirling pool of black consumed us, in many ways it felt like I was suffocating, the walls were closing in and I was getting sucked into a void of nothingness. If I could panic I would but it seemed that I was paralyzed in my current state unable to move. I could no longer see the blonde next to me either, yet I still felt his firm grip where he had indeed placed his hand.
Just as I thought this would be the end and I truly did believe that I was either going to die or wake up from the nightmare which I was currently living, the darkness and vortex ended. I could feel the cool air brushing against my skin, and smell the crisp air with the fresh smell of newly fallen rain. I definitely was no longer in my small shabby five hundred dollar a month apartment nor anywhere in Toronto. As I slowly opened my eyes I soon became aware that while I was somewhere else, I still had present company, minus one uninvited guest.
The Blonde stood there in front of me staring fixatedly, slowly a smile played on his face and a gorgeous laugh left his lips. I was so confused at this; did he nearly not just get killed by an unknown man, supposedly named Edmund?
“I suppose you want an explanation now Sayge.” He knew my name at this I was dumbstruck, but there was no time for that, I needed answers and I needed them now otherwise I was going to pass out from the shock of today’s earlier events and assassination attempts of course. Okay, Sayge breathe just let him explain everything and hopefully he didn’t just kidnap you, I told myself. Each reassurance only made me more nervous as I saw him compose himself to most likely create a logical answer for everything that happened. At this point though, I was far beyond logic, logic ended when all time stopped when I was nearly hit by a car, logic ended when I was pulled from my tiny kitchen into a vortex of blackness with no warning of what on earth was going to happen or even a warning of “hold on” from my partner in travel.
The more I stood there contemplating things, the more anger began boiling at the fact that I was now standing in the middle of nowhere with complete stranger, no help in sight and suddenly he appeared to be a mute, all the while I really hoped it was a bad dream. Just as I was about to walk away in frustration to god knows where, it seemed that the blonde finally spoke up.
“I know this may seem a bit strange to you Sayge, well not a bit, more like completely absurd and insane and well after having to shift you out of your apartment before I made it a crime scene,” my eyes widened, “there is quite a lot to explain, you see to put it mildly there are some people after you, as you most likely know from the last situation.”
“But to put it more specifically, they were henchmen, more specifically magi henchmen. Magi are a race in the magical community, which until now you were not aware you were a part of. I know this may be a lot to take in at once and that we both never had a formal introduction but it seemed to be for the best until you came of age just a few weeks ago,” he paused waiting for a response but I was shocked, was this man insane he had to be? Magic, Magical communities, Magi, this guy had to be a mental hospital escapee, great what a wonderful dream stuck in a field with a crazy person explaining that I was some kind of witch, did I take any illegal substances yesterday?
“Okay…” that was all I could stammer, how stupid, why couldn’t I come up with something even remotely better than an unsure agreement with a person who hasn’t even told me his name yet?
All the while I didn’t even seem remotely concerned about the fact that in one way or another I was indeed kidnapped by a stranger, a handsome stranger, but a stranger none the less. “So, what are we doing here then, and may I ask where exactly is here and who the hell are you?” Sarcasm seemed to only lightly mask my anger and eventual hysterics that would no doubt erupt or I would wake up after this horrible nightmare to discover that I really never was fired from my job and none of this ever happened. But of course that was way too hopeful, I knew the fact that I was stuck wherever I was with a stranger and somehow I was slightly only very slightly believing what he was saying, because well, there really was no other explanation for what happened.
“We’re in the mountains, near Jasper. I just had to get you out of the city or to be exact the Province otherwise they would be searching for a new locations, at least now we can hide away from them for a while,” He replied.
“Okay I just think you’re just a little crazy,” I ran as fast as I could into the forest, as he called after me.

No comments:

Post a Comment